Not recognising a transaction or the amount appearing to be incorrect on your billing statement can be frustrating but, it doesn't necessarily mean there's been fraudulent activity on your Account. More often than not‚ it's something much more straightforward.
Tips to check if you don’t recognise a charge
There are a number of steps you can take to resolve an unrecognised charge before contacting us:
- Using an online search engine to find more details on the retailer that appears on your statement as they could be using a third party name.
- Checking if it is an online purchase (ie .co.uk or .com). If so, check your personal email inbox (and junk folder) for an email confirmation from the company.
- Considering whether it could be a monthly or yearly subscription.
- Contacting the retailer listed on the statement. In many cases, a charge can be resolved directly with the original company that the goods/services were purchased from.
- Checking the exchange rate if the amount charged is not as expected.
If you have checked the tips and still do not recognise the charge, you can raise a dispute. We aim to help you resolve this as quickly as we can during the process.
Raising a dispute using our Online Services
If you do not recognise a charge on your billing statement you can open and raise a dispute, you will need to be logged in to do this, or set up an Online Account. It takes a couple of minutes and helpful information is provided along the way to make the steps as easy as possible.
Step 1 – Log in with your existing Online Account details or set up an Online Account.
Step 2 – From your statement page select the transaction you want to raise.
Step 3 – Select "Have a question about this charge?"
Step 4 – Choose the type of inquiry you have and answer the following questions.
Step 5 – Once you have reached the Inquiry Complete page you will receive a confirmation screen.
Step 6 – Your raised dispute will then be seen in your disputes activity at the top of your billing statement. You will be able to cancel this at any time.
If you’re unable to raise or resolve a dispute using our Online Services please contact us and our Customer Care Professionals can investigate this for you.
Note: Pending charges cannot be disputed. When a charge is pending, it has not yet actually posted to your Account and the amount could change. You will need to wait for the charge to post before opening a billing inquiry. We may require proof that you have contacted the retailer in an effort to resolve your dispute. Please be aware that investigations can take up to 6-8 weeks to resolve and you will be advised if we need you to provide supporting documentation. You will receive a confirmation letter to your billing address once your dispute has been resolved and closed.