Helpful tips to use when you don’t recognise a charge
There are a number of steps you can take to resolve an unrecognised charge before contacting us:
- Use an online search engine to find more details about the retailer that appears on your statement as they could be using a third-party name.
- Check to see if it is an online purchase (.co.uk or .com). If so, check your personal email inbox (and junk folder) for an email confirmation from the company.
- Consider whether it could be a monthly or yearly subscription.
- Contact the retailer listed on the statement. In many cases, a charge can be resolved directly with the original company that the goods or services were purchased from.
- Check the exchange rate if the amount charged is not as expected.
If you have checked these sources and still do not recognise the charge, you can raise a dispute and we will help you to resolve your billing inquiry as quickly as we can.
Raising a dispute using our Online Services
If you do not recognise a charge on your Billing Statement you can open and raise a dispute. You will need to be logged in to your Online Account to do this, or you can set up an Online Account. It takes a couple of minutes and helpful information is provided along the way to make the steps as easy as possible.
Step 1 – Log in with your existing Online Account details or set up an Online Account.
Step 2 – From your statement page select the transaction you want to dispute.
Step 3 – Select "Dispute This Charge"
Step 4 – Answer the questions that follow and choose the type of inquiry you have.
Step 5 – You have the option to upload supporting documents. If you do not have them with you at the time of your inquiry, you can complete the case and upload them later or you can pick up where you left off and resume your inquiry at a later time. You’ll be able to find your dispute case under the ‘Unsubmitted’ section.
Step 6 – Once you submit your dispute, you will receive a confirmation page with further details. Your raised dispute will then be seen in your ‘disputes activity’ on the left side of your Card activity page. You will be able to close the dispute case at any time. You can refer back to your ‘Open’ cases to track the status of the dispute with expected resolution dates.
If you’re unable to raise or resolve a dispute using our Online Services please contact us and our Customer Care Professionals can investigate this for you.
Note: Pending charges cannot be disputed. When a charge is pending, it has not yet actually posted to your Account and the amount could change. You will need to wait for the charge to post before opening a billing inquiry. We may require proof that you have contacted the retailer in an effort to resolve your dispute. Please be aware that investigations can take up to 6-8 weeks to resolve and you will be advised if we need you to provide supporting documentation. You will receive a confirmation letter to your billing address once your dispute has been resolved and closed.